On 31st December last year, Chinese authorities alerted the World Health Organisation to an outbreak of a novel strain of coronavirus causing severe illness, which was subsequently named SARS-CoV-2.
As we are now only too well aware, this virus is the cause of COVID-19, an infectious disease that can present symptoms ranging from very mild non-respiratory conditions to severe acute respiratory illness and on rare occasions, a fatal multi-organ disease.
COVID-19 has swept across the globe, affecting 189 countries and territories worldwide. As of 15th October there have been over 38 million confirmed cases and over one million confirmed deaths.
Knowledge and advice relating to the disease is constantly evolving and while employers have a duty of care to keep up-to-date on guidance and protect their employees, even the most well-resourced organisations are struggling to keep on top of all the latest information.
To help support our clients, Healix’s Chief Medical Officer has produced a comprehensive reference guide, updated weekly, containing everything you need to know about the disease, as well as sharing our latest advice for travellers.
Inside ‘COVID-19: what do we know?’:
- Transmission – how the virus spreads
- Symptoms – characteristic signs of infection
- Treatment – update on treatments being used and investigated
- Prevention – preventative measures to mitigate risk of infection
- Testing – update on PCR and Serology (antibody) testing
- Advice for travellers and employees
Reference: Country band categorisation
- Botswana ↑
- Cape Verde
- Costa Rica
- Croatia ↑
- Czech Republic
- French Polynesia
- Italy ↑
- Lichtenstein ↑
- Morroco ↑
- Nepal ↑
- North Macedonia
- Palestine territories
- Poland ↑
- Qatar ↑
- Saint Martin / Sint Maarten
- San Marino ↑
- Switzerland ↑
- USA – Arkansas, Guam, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas ↑, Montana, N Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma ↑, Puerto Rico, S Dakota, Tennessee ↑, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming ↑
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Denmark ↓
- Dominican Republic
- Finland ↑
- French Guiana ↓
- Germany ↑
- Kosovo ↑
- Kyrgzstan ↑
- Trinidad & Tobago
- USA – Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut ↑, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico ↑, N Carolina, Ohio ↑, Pennsylvania ↑, Rhode Island ↑ S Carolina, Texas, Virginia ↑, W Virginia ↑
- Azerbaijan ↑
- Bolivia ↑
- El Salvador
- Malaysia ↑
- Namibia ↓
- Philippines ↓
- Serbia ↑
- South Africa
- USA – Excl. the above in Band A/B
Note: These bands are used to give an indication of country / regional risk rating using the following criteria:
- Ongoing cases per capita
- Deaths per capita
- Health care capacity
- Prevalence of testing
Stay abreast of the latest developments
Healix experts have been actively monitoring the global coronavirus pandemic and pro-actively posting alerts to our Travel Oracle app and web platforms.
To receive regular COVID-19 email bulletins straight to your inbox, sign up for free by entering your details here.