On 31st December last year, Chinese authorities alerted the World Health Organisation to an outbreak of a novel strain of coronavirus causing severe illness, which was subsequently named SARS-CoV-2.
As we are now only too well aware, this virus is the cause of COVID-19, an infectious disease that can present symptoms ranging from very mild non-respiratory conditions to severe acute respiratory illness and on rare occasions, a fatal multi-organ disease.
Six months on since the alarm was raised and COVID-19 has swept across the globe, affecting 213 countries and territories worldwide. As of 29th June there have been over 10 million confirmed cases and over half a million confirmed deaths with the actual numbers believed to be much higher.
Knowledge and advice relating to the disease is constantly evolving and while employers have a duty of care to keep up-to-date on guidance and protect their employees, even the most well-resourced organisations are struggling to keep on top of all the latest information.
To help support our clients, Healix’s Chief Medical Officer has produced a comprehensive reference guide, updated weekly, containing everything you need to know about the disease, as well as sharing our latest advice for travellers.
Inside ‘Six months of COVID-19’:
- Transmission – how the virus spreads
- Symptoms – characteristic signs of infection
- Treatment – update on treatments being used and investigated
- Prevention – preventative measures to mitigate risk of infection
- Testing – update on PCR and Serology (antibody) testing
- Advice for travellers and employees
Reference: Country band categorisation
- Costa Rica ↑
- Dominican Republic ↑
- Israel ↑
- Kazakhstan ↑
- Kuwait ↑
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- USA – Arizona ↑, Florida ↑, S Carolina ↑, (New) Louisiana
- Algeria ↑
- Belarus ↓
- Bulgaria ↑
- El Salvador
- French Guiana
- Ghana ↑
- Ivory Coast
- Kenya ↑
- Moldova ↓
- Morocco ↑
- North Macedonia
- Philippines ↑
- Romania ↑
- Sweden ↓
- USA – N Carolina, Oklahoma, Nevada, Texas, (New) Wisconsin, Washington, Ohio, California, Alabama, Arkansas, Iowa, Kansas, New Mexico, Delaware, Georgia, Utah, Mississippi, Idaho, Tennessee
Band B countries – localised lockdown
- (New) Croatia
- DR Congo
- Djibouti ↓
- Haiti ↓
- (New) Luxembourg
- Poland ↓
- Singapore ↓
- USA – Excl. the above in Band A/.B
Band C countries – localised lockdown
Note: These bands are used to give an indication of country / regional risk rating using the following criteria:
- Ongoing cases per capita
- Deaths per capita
- Health care capacity
- Prevalence of testing
Stay abreast of the latest developments
Healix experts have been actively monitoring the global coronavirus pandemic and pro-actively posting alerts to our Travel Oracle app and web platforms.
To receive regular COVID-19 email bulletins straight to your inbox, sign up for free by entering your details here.